The MARC Solid Waste Mangement District (SWMD) provides a host of innovative and long-standing programs in the metro area:
- The Regional Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Program collects paint, pesticides, automotive fluids, and other unwanted products from the public. Mobile collection events offer residents a convenient opportunity to drop off wastes at locations throughout the region. Residents can also use the two permanent HHW facilities in Kansas City and Lee's Summit.
- The annual District Grant Program provides valuable assistance to local governments, private businesses and not-for-profit organizations in the implementation of a wide variety of waste reduction and recycling projects.
- Each fall, the district, in cooperation with local governments, businesses and non-profits, coordinates the regional America Recycles Day celebration.
- Each spring, the district helps sponsor the annual Earth Day celebration and reaches several hundred visitors at its display booth.
- The Recycling Information Line 474-TEAM (8326) is a great way for people with recycling questions to get the information they're looking for by talking to a live person. The district also maintains updated information on the web including drop-off recycling centers.
- The district recognizes outstanding recycling and waste reduction efforts by individiuals and organizations in the metro area through its Special Recognition Awards program.
- Each year the district produces an annual report of its activities. These reports can be found on our reports and publications page.