Public Health Subcommittee
A Subcommittee of the Regional Homeland Security Coordinating Committee
- Develop regional plans and protocols to work with the media and manage public information during a major regional public health emergency or disaster. Develop capacity to manage public information for regional events.
- Increase public health’s regional surveillance and investigation capability to enable early detection of disease and determination of who is at risk and in need of treatment/prophylaxis, isolation or quarantine.
- Establish an integrated working group of public health and medical officials to develop a regional plan to address isolation and quarantine issues, including methods for enforcing isolation and quarantine orders and undertaking risk communication efforts effectively.
- Identify specific equipment necessary for disease containment, including personal protective equipment for public health workers, and acquire as appropriate.
- In collaboration with the RHSCC Exercise/Training Subcommittee, develop a training and exercise program for public health and medical personnel to facilitate the effective conduct of regional surveillance and epidemiologic investigation and disease containment efforts.
- In conjunction with the Cities Readiness Initiative, support the development of a regional capability to mass immunize and/or mass prophylax large numbers of persons in metro area.
- Build the Medical Reserve Corps of Greater Kansas City capability by sponsoring recruitment efforts and supporting regular MRCKC meetings and trainings. The subcommittee will work with local public health agencies to ensure volunteers recruited are being utilized for routine public health activities as well as emergency response. The subcommittee will also work in cooperation with the RHSCC Training and Exercise Committee to involve trained volunteers in exercises, as appropriate.
Co-Chair: Bonnie Martin, KCMO Health Dept.
Co-Chair: Nancy Tausz , Johnson County Health Dept.
This committee meets at
9 a.m. on the third Thursday of even months at 12 p.m.
All meetings are listed on the emergency services calendar and are open to the public.