Training and Exercise Programs
The Regional Homeland Security Coordinating Committee's Training and Exercise Subcommittee is committed to offering training in the Greater Kansas City region on homeland security issues, including deterrence, response and recovery from Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) and terrorist incidents.
The Mid-America Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) also offers training to our local emergency responders. LEPC training focuses primarily on response and recovery to hazardous materials incidents.
Upcoming courses and events
January — October 2013
- ICS 300: Intermediate Incident Command System,
June 12–14; and Oct. 9–11
- Cargo Tank Truck Emergency Response Workshop, June 10 and 11
- Disaster Mental Health and Psychological First Aid, June 13
- IS-22: Are You Ready?, June 8, July 13, Nov. 2
- Street Smart HazMat Safety Officer, June 17, 18 or 19
- IS-700: National Incident Management System, An Introduction, July 13
- Advanced Planning Concepts: Developing Incident Action Plans, July 8–9
- ICS 400: Advanced Incident Command System,
May 16–17, July 18–19, Nov. 14–15
- IS-100: Introduction to the Incident Command System, June 8, Nov. 2
- NIMS ICS All‐Hazards Position Course L‐984: Task Force/Strike Team Leader **New Course** June 25–27, 2013
- NIMS ICS All‐Hazards Position Course L‐967: Logistics Section Chief (LSC) Course, July 29–Aug. 2
- NIMS ICS All‐Hazards Position Course L‐965: Resources Unit Leader (RESL) Course, Sept. 10–13
Other training resources
FEMA's Self Independent Study Program Online Courses
FEMA's Emergency Management Institute provides general emergency management trainings through FEMA?s online Self Independent Study Program.
The following courses are basic ICS courses and the foundation for higher level ICS trainings:
- IS-700.a NIMS An Introduction
- IS-100.b - Introduction to Incident Command System, ICS-100
- IS-200.b - ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents
Department of Homeland Security (DHS) / Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Course Catalogs
The Training & Exercise Integration (TEI)/ Training Operations (TO) encourages States, territories and urban areas to schedule trainings from training catalogs to enhance the capabilities of State and local emergency preparedness. Courses are provided at little or no cost and can be delivered on-line or as a mobile training provided within the KC metro area. For information on scheduling mobile trainings from the following catalogs, please contact Lisa Elsas or call 816-701-8392.
The National Preparedness Directorate (NPD) launched an Online Course Catalog that integrates information on courses managed and/or provided by the CDP, EMI and the National Training and Education Division (NTED). The Online Course Catalog allows users to search this new course database using a search of Course Number, Course Title, Course Description, Target Audience, Course Type, Location, Provider, Target Capability and Emergency Support Function (ESF).
The Training and Exercise Subcommittee meets monthly, usually on the last Friday of the month at 9 a.m., to discuss homeland security training and exercise issues. Meetings are generally held in the MARC offices, 600 Broadway, Suite 200, Kansas City, Mo. All meetings are listed on the emergency services calendar and are open to the public.
Center for Domestic Preparedness
Emergency Management Institute, resident courses on campus
New Mexico Tech