solar ready kc
Mid-America Regional Council’s (MARC) Solar Ready KC program is the regional recipient of the U.S. Department of Energy SunShot Initiative Rooftop Solar Challenge. Funding was awarded to MARC and 21 other regional programs to make it easier for Americans to go solar by:
- streamlining permit processes
- updating planning and zoning codes
- improving standards for connecting solar power to the electric grid; and
- increasing access to financing
These measures will clear a path for rapid expansion of solar energy and create models for other communities across the nation. The Rooftop Solar Challenge is part of the SunShot Initiative, which strives to make solar energy cost-competitive with other forms of energy by the end of the decade.
With five jurisdictional partners, Clay County, Mo., Johnson County, Kan., Kansas City, Mo., Lee’s Summit, Mo. and Olathe, Kan., and Kansas City Power & Light, Solar Ready KC has developed Solar Best Management Practices (BMP), focused on improving the solar permitting and planning process, the fastest and most effective means to facilitate solar installations. Solar Ready KC will offer a clearinghouse for information that will help make the process clear and seamless.
- Best Management Practices for Solar Installation Policy Overview
- Best Management Practices Executive Summary
BMP Planning Improvements: Why?
Planning improvements help organize and emphasize a jurisdiction’s support of a building owner’s right to use solar. Removing local ordinance barriers, adopting facilitating code, encouraging solar readiness and incentivizing solar acceptance in new developments fosters a community that supports individual choice.(Please note: sample language, worksheets and other aids are provided for some, but not all, of the BMPs.)
- BMP Planning Improvements 1-1A Improve Solar Access
- BMP Planning Improvements 1-1B Improve Solar Access
- BMP Planning Improvements 1-2 Educate Developers
- BMP Planning Improvements 1-3 Educate Homeowners
- BMP Planning Improvements 2-1A Improve Solar Readiness
- BMP Planning Improvements 2-1B Improve Solar Readiness
- BMP Planning Improvements 3-1 Engage Homeowners Associations
BMP Process Improvements: Why?
Permitting process improvements are one of the fastest and most effective means to facilitate solar installations. Offering a centralized location for information that clearly explains the process, standardizing permit fees, incorporating utility notification, and pre-qualifying plans and installers make the process clear and seamless. (Please note: sample language, worksheets and other aids are provided for some, but not all, of the BMPs.)
- BMP Process Improvements 1-1A Streamline Permitting
- BMP Process Improvements 1-1B Streamline Permitting
- BMP Process Improvements 1-1C Streamline Permitting
- BMP Process Improvements 2-1A Standardize Permit Fees
- BMP Process Improvements 2-1B Standardize Permit Fees
- BMP Process Improvements 2-2A Notify Utility
- BMP Process Improvements 2-2B Notify Utility
- BMP Process Improvements 3-1A Pre-qualify Plans and Installers
- BMP Process Improvements 3-1B Pre-qualify Plans and Installers
Solar Ready KC is also working on increasing access to financing for solar. A Financial Work Group reviewed and developed regional solar installation financing options which focused on traditional and non-traditional options. Traditional options include leases, power purchase agreements, non-traditional options examined community solar, property-assessed financing and qualified energy conservation bonds. The goal is to remove financing as a barrier to going solar.
For information regarding Solar Ready KC, contact