The Successful Facilitator Certificate Program
This certificate program is designed to serve local government executives, department directors, and other managers who deal with elected officials and/or seek public participation.
The highly interactive curriculum thoroughly covers group dynamics, problem-solving, decision-making, meeting management, and relationship-building with elected officials and other community members. You will have ample opportunity to discuss and demonstrate the key elements of facilitation.
The certificate program is based essentially on the "learn by participation" method of instruction. Small group discussions, case studies, practice, feedback, and planning activities are emphasized. Lectures and video tapes are used to stress pertinent major points.
This 20-hour curriculum is scheduled over a five-week time period. You will meet once a week for four hours. The class size is limited to 12 which enables adequate time to practice the facilitation techniques. The certificate programs require the participants to attend all five sessions.
- Outline the key elements of group dynamics — task and process — using behavior-based interpretation
- Discuss the overarching skills used in the facilitation of a group process in the local government setting
- Explain effective process dynamics such as:
- meeting management
- problem solving
- Describe effective elected/staff relationship dynamics needed for successful policy/decision-making
- Demonstrate key results while working with elected officials, community members and local government peers
- Practice through simulations of group meetings and other settings, receiving peer and instructor feedback
- Examine the diverse roles and changing dynamics that a facilitator may encounter and the various approaches to employ
Dates and Registration: Fridays, March 9, 16, 23, 30 and April 6
Location: MARC Conference Center
Instructor: Jari Holland Buck
- GTI Members $358
- Non-members $412
Facilitation Certificate programs can be tailored for on-site training programs. If you have a large group requiring the same information at the same time, a customized program will provide you with the greatest return on your training investment.
Questions? Call 816/701-8234 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.