9-1-1 Heroes Award Program
The primary purposes of the Kansas City Regional 9-1-1 Heroes Award program are to recognize and reward youth who demonstrate knowledge of the proper use of 9-1-1 by performing some heroic action during the course of the emergency/call and to promote public education and awareness of 9-1-1. Heroes must meet the following criteria. If these criteria are met the youth will receive the 9-1-1 Hero Award.
- The 9-1-1 call must be initiated by the youth.
- The youth must have performed some heroic action in the course of the emergency that contributed to:
- Saving a life
- Significantly reducing property loss
- Apprehending a criminal and/or stopping a crime
- The program recognizes youth age 16 or younger; however, exceptions may be considered under special circumstances.
- The agency personnel submitting the nomination should complete the hero nomination form, including a brief summary of the incident. If possible, a recording of the 9-1-1 call should accompany the hero nomination form.
Award Presentation Format:
If the award is presented during the school year, a presentation will be made at the youth's school to enhance the youth's experience and provide an opportunity to educate other students on the proper use of 9-1-1.
If the award is not presented during the school year, an award presentation may take place at a
Public Safety Communications Board meeting or other Regional 9-1-1 System event.
A press release will be sent to local media prior to the presentation event. This provides another opportunity to recognize the hero's accomplishment and promote the proper use 9-1-1.
The 9-1-1 Hero will receive:
- Kansas City Regional 9-1-1 System's Personalized Hero Award Certificate
- 9-1-1 Heroes T-Shirt and Award Medal
- Possible guest of honor at a 9-1-1 Event
- Other promotional items
The 9-1-1 Dispatcher/Nominator will receive:
- Kansas City Regional 9-1-1 System's Personalized Award Certificate
If you have any questions about the 9-1-1 Heroes program, please contact Sally McGraw or call 816-701-8330.