Sustainable Success Stories
This year's program honored seven sustainable success stories that exemplify creating sustainable places in the Greater Kansas City region. MARC's Creating Sustainable Places initiative identifies sustainable places as vibrant, connected and green. Project honorees were selected through a competitive Call for Successful Sustainable Projects.
Sustainable Success Stories is part of an ongoing community dialogue focused on building a better understanding of sustainable practices that have the potential to transform our community into “America’s Green Region.” By sharing local successes and challenges, we can enable community partners to learn about and replicate locally tailored, high-impact sustainability practices.
- Common Ground Program, City of Lawrence, Kan.
- Lenexa Guidebook of Quality Community Development Strategies
- Midwest Region Alternative Fuels Project
- The City of Lee's Summit Sustainability Action Plan (SAP)
- Shawnee Mission School District School Cafeteria Waste Diversion Project
- U-Pass, University of Missouri-Kansas City and Kansas City Area Transportation Authority Pass Program
- Williams York Residence, Leawood, Kan.
- Sustainability in Action, University of Missouri – Kansas City
- ReStore, Habitat for Humanity Kansas City
- Project Living Proof, Metropolitan Energy Center
- Grown in Ivanhoe, Ivanhoe Neighborhood Council
- Geothermal Project/Energy Conservation Measures, City of Prairie Village, Kan.
- Energy Conservation and Education, Eudora USD 491
- Clothesline Sale, Pembroke Hill School Parents' Association
- Center City Neighborhood Revitalization and Greening, Westside Housing Organization
- Douglas L. Smith Treatment Plant Cogeneration, Johnson County, Kan., Wastewater
- Freda Markley Early Childhood Center, WSKF Architects
- KCATA Troost Avenue BRT System, Taliaferro & Browne, Inc.
- MindDrive – Automotive Design Studio, DeLaSalle Education Center High School, Kansas City, Mo.
- Natural Stormwater Treatment System, Bowman Bowman Novick Inc. and Burns & McDonnell
- Platte County Green Build Program, Platte County, Mo.
- Posty Cards Inc., Expansion Project, Posty Cards Inc.
- Westside Housing Organization Focus Green Programs, Westside Housing Organization
- 18 Broadway, DST Systems
- 405 Southwest Boulevard, Davison Architecture + Urban Design
- Downtown Development Code, City of Blue Springs, Mo.
- Festival Recycling Program, City of Lenexa, Kan.
- Green Initiative, MoDOT
- K-State Olathe Innovation Campus - Kansas Bioscience Park, Schlagel & Associates
- Lenexa Central Green, City of Lenexa, Kan.
- Longview Road Improvement Project, Jackson County Public Works
- Mission Solid Waste Program, City of Mission, Kan.
- PlanetReuse, PlanetReuse
- K-10 Corridor, Johnson County Transit Authority
City of Kansas City, Mo.
- Climate Protection Plan
- Energy Star for New Homes Ordinance
- LEED Ordinance
- Sustainability Workshop
- Million Lights Campaign
- Birmingham Land Application Tree Nursery
- Nature First
Johnson County, Kan.
City of Lenexa, Kan.
Successful Green Building Projects
- Applebee’s Support Center, BNIM, Lenexa, Kan.
- Wildcat Glades Conservation & Audubon Center, Gastinger Walker Harden Architects, Joplin, Mo.
- Historic Green New Orleans, PGAV, New Orleans, La.
Additional Successful Sustainability Efforts
- Smart Commute Program & Food Waste Compost Project, Sprint, Overland Park, Kan.
- Edible Schoolyard, Johnson County Community College, Johnson County, Kan.